Indie Pop – Pure Pleasure:
Broken Bells, “The Ghost Inside” – from the self-titled debut (2010)
I’m really enjoying this song, and this album, which I was turned on to by NPR’s Bob Boilen, host of All Songs Considered, who did an interview with the Broken Bells bell duo back in March.
Broken Bells is Brian Burton – better known as artist–producer Danger Mouse – and James Mercer, lead vocalist and guitarist for The Shins. Burton comes to Broken Bells after a series of outstanding – and at times amazing – projects in recent years, including Gnarls Barkley (with Cee-Lo Green); producing the second Gorillaz album, Demon Days; and his collaboration with rapper MF DOOM as DANGERDOOM, which brought us the amazing and underappreciated The Mouse and the Mask.
- RollingStone.com: “It turns out the two pop-science geeks are a perfect match. Danger Mouse pushes Mercer’s gorgeous, existential tunecraft outward with Day-Glo dynamics.”
- Pitchfork: Album Reviews: “Mercer and Danger Mouse’s debut as Broken Bells is not quite up to the level of either’s best projects, but in its own quiet way, it hits its marks.”
- Broken Bells – official website, a blast.
- Broken Bells – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
- SXSW 2010: Broken Bells, Live In Concert : NPR.
- Broken Bells: Danger Mouse Meets James Mercer : NPR.