Not to be mistaken for Dobie Gillis…
Dobie Gray, “Drift Away” – from the album of the same name (1973)
Sort of a one-hit wonder, and pretty pop (and a bit country) for a soul tune, but if you’re in your mid forties to mid fifties, I bet you remember this song. It is very memorable. And it still gets a fair amount of radio airplay.
And if you’re a bit older, or a TV junkie like me, you probably also remember “The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis,” with TV’s first beatnik, Maynard G. Krebs – played by Bob Denver, better known as Gilligan from “Gilligan’s Island.” But like I said, that’s a different Dobie.
Have you ever actually met someone named Dobie?
- Dobie Gray – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Best of Dobie Gray – Amazon.com
- A small selection of whatever fills my head!: Dobie Gray – Drift Away (1973).
- The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Dwayne Hickman also known as Dobie Gillis offers personlized paintings and videos and photos and memorabilia