In a very Grinch-like act, ABC TV scheduled what seems to be their one and only showing of the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas for last night, November 30, which seems too little and a bit early – not even December, and less than a week after Thanksgiving.
Fortunately, although it doesn’t appear to be showing again on either broadcast or cable television, there are options for those of you who still need to get their Grinch on, and won’t be satisfied with the more recent live-action version starring Jim Carrey. While Netflix does not have it for “streaming,” you can pay $2.99 to watch it on Amazon’s Video On Demand. A remastered version with a few extras is also available through iTunes. And of course pirated versions are available by the score, in all sorts of formats.
After watching it last night – for the umpteenth time – with great pleasure, I would like to leave you with a couple of thoughts.
Boris Karloff must have been one of the most unexpected, out of left field, daring casting choices ever. Picking as the voice of a children’s Christmas special an actor best known – monumentally well-known – for his work in horror films, and particularly as Frankenstein’s monster? And yet he’s brilliant.
And of course there is the animation work of Chuck Jones, which will be so familiar to any fan of cartoons, particularly from his brilliant work on Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies – including many of the best with Bugs, Daffy, Wile E. Coyote and the others. He was responsible for some of the most famous of all these cartoons, including Duck Amuck, One Froggy Evening and What’s Opera, Doc? as well as the famous “Hunting Trilogy” of Rabbit Fire, Rabbit Seasoning, and Duck! Rabbit! Duck!, and one of my personal favorites, Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century (1953).
Finally, since the above video clip is only available through YouTube directly, let me leave you with an MP3 of the title song, sung by Thurl Ravenscroft, who also provided the original voice for “Tony the Tiger”:
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (TV special) – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966) – IMDb.com
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas (book) – Dr. Seuss – Powells.com
- Best Holiday T.V. Specials – NY Daily News
- Netflix: Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- Amazon.com: How the Grinch Stole Christmas!/Horton Hears a Who: Warner Brothers: Video On Demand
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas 1966 DVDRiP XviD avi – Download from rapidshare.com
- OneClickMoviez com How The Grinch Stole Christmas 1966 – Download from megashares.com
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas – Download from megaupload.com
- How the Grinch Stole ChristmasDVDrip[FS]Eng (download torrent) – TPB