With the continuing success of The Big Bang Theory and the popularity of everyone’s favorite über nerd, Sheldon Cooper – whose wardrobe consists largely of comic book superhero t-shirts and old-school golf slacks – it seemed long past time to return to the subject of nerdware…
Contrary to the overly familiar icons and images on Sheldon’s t-shirts, I think it is of the essence for the true nerd t-shirt to be obscure, the image only recognizable by a proper fellow nerd – like these, maybe:
In case these are too obscure for you, they are both icons from the short-lived sci fi TV series, Space:1999, starring Martin Landau, which ran for two seasons in the late 1970s. The show had great production values and a look influenced by 2001: A Space Odyssey, but was marred by occasionally uneven acting and an initial premise – the moon being blasted out of orbit by a series of nuclear explosions – that many simply could not accept.
Back here on Earth, Big Bang and its cast just made a big splash at Comic-Con, with the cast talking about the big cliffhanger in the Season 4 finale (Season 5 premieres Thursday, September 22, 8/7c). Big Bang was ranked 19th in the Nielsen ratings for all primetime TV shows through July 24 [here]. That sounds okay, but not great – until you look at the other top shows. Big Bang is the only sitcom in the bunch, and one of only 6 scripted/fiction shows (that is, not reality TV, sports or news) in the list. (The other five are all one-hour cops shows, including both versions of NCIS, CSI, The Mentalist and Criminal Minds.)
Years from now, when Big Bang Theory is long cancelled and only occasionally shown on some nostalgia cable channel (which by then will probably be beamed directly to our retinas or something), the show’s iconography will be obscure enough that its t-shirts will be able to count as nerdware, like this one:
But until that time, no. Fanware but not nerdware. You’d be better off wearing a periodical table t-shirt.
- Alpha Moonbase Space: 1999 Tshirt – FunkyShirt.
- Space 1999 – Astronaut’s Crest T-Shirt | Interstait – The latest in Science Fiction Movies and Television T-Shirts and Merchandise.
- Space: 1999 – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
- Space1999.org – Homage to the “Space: 1999” science fiction series – Main Index Page.
- The Big Bang Theory Bazinga T-Shirt | BAZINGA Shirt – CBS Store.
- The Big Surprise of ‘The Big Bang Theory’ – The Bigger Audience – NYTimes.com.
- The Big Bang Theory: Watch Episodes and Video and Join the Ultimate Fan Community – CBS.com.
- big bang theory Search Results – EW.com.
- SheldonShirts.com – Sheldon T-Shirts from Big Bang Theory.
- Nerdware of a different kind…